Tuesday 1 October 2013

more than half way


It's true what they say, the acronyms do start rolling off your tongue. SOP, AWP, DIP, CRGG, EDP, GEF, NIM, NEX and the list goes one. They have all become embedded in my brain and I find myself referring to them in conversation without skipping a beat. 

I have developed a fierce coffee addiction to rival my graduate school days. Not so much out of need but due to the availability of someone coming by my desk at least twice a day to offer me some. There are so many excuses: if a colleague invites you its rude to turn it down, it only costs 50 cents, it’s important to give the coffee cart people regular tips to help bolster their meagre income -but in reality, I just don’t have much will power when it comes to espresso.

The city and I have come to a compromise. I may not always like it but there is much about it I am grateful for and returning from weekends away feels like coming home. 
Coffee in a take-away cup from Ethiopia's Starbucks: Kaldis. One of the many perks of the UN compound.






Sometimes I feel like I have been here a week, other times a year, but in reality its been over three and half months since I arrived in Ethiopia. My placement is now more than half way over and with the rain slowly subsiding I can feel the time slipping through my fingers. I feel certain the second half of my placement will be done before I know it.   

My role with UNDP Ethiopia has been challenging and rewarding in expected and unexpected ways. I have learned a lot about monitoring and evaluation, UNDP, Ethiopia, partnership building and myself. I have advised, analysed, reviewed, edited, collaborated, planned, developed and produced and aimed to make as much of a positive contribution as I can in a limited amount of time. This role has been unlike any other in my career to date and I am appreciative of the experience, the opportunity to apply my skills in a new context, and the insight I've gained on where I might like my career to take me next.

There is still so much I want to do and see in Ethiopia and work I hope to accomplish at UNDP. I feel excited for the next few months, apprehensive of what might be next, but determined to make the most of the little time I have left.

The Africa Hall Mosaic on the first floor of the building where UNDP is housed.




No comments:

Post a Comment