Thursday 12 September 2013

family

When I move somewhere new, the thing I always struggle with the most is missing family, be it biological relatives or close friends. I've been lucky to have been able to live many places, the downside of which is that some of my most important people are scattered around the world. Living in a new place it always takes a while to start building up a new support network - something which can be particularly frustrating when dealing with all the other challenges of uprooting yourself.

New Years in Ethiopia, like most holidays I've had the joy of celebrating on the African continent,  is all about spending time with family. And so the past few days have really given me the chance to recognise the little bits of family I've been able to acquire over my short time here.

There are my lovely colleagues at UNDP. To celebrate the holiday we shared cake, multiple rounds of coffee, and a lunchtime feast at a local Ethiopian restaurant. Not a single day goes by without someone asking me how Ethiopia is treating me. While I may still be seen as a guest, I'm endlessly appreciative of the kindness that I know I will find in the office each day.

New Years was also celebrated with the staff at the Ibex Hotel - a place that I have come to realise is a bit like my second Ethiopian home. You see, internet in Addis is a hassle. It's expensive and slow and is often not even there. As a result, I have spent a lot of time trying to connect to wifi at the hotel one street over from my house. It's also the location of the closest macchiato, where I had Amharic lessons, and my favourite location to buy alcohol for take-away. So basically the staff know me and my housemates pretty well at this point. On New Years day we ventured over to try to access some free wifi and soon found ourselves the recipients of the lovely gift of a traditional coffee ceremony. The women were wearing traditional clothing, the owner blessed the food, there was incense, delicious coffee, plates of popcorn, and the best bread I've had in Ethiopia. Warm, fluffy and chewy, and swirled with berbere.


And then there is my family of expat friends. We all have different backgrounds but are sharing the experience of being a foreigner living in Addis. They are the people who you can vent to about every tiny thing that drives you crazy about this city without having to worry about offending someone. They are the ones who want to go on weekend adventures, think its a great idea to make a mexican feast for ethiopian new years, and will soon be some of those important people who end up scattered around the world.

Family in Ethiopia seems to be coming in many forms and I grateful for every bit of it.

1 comment:

  1. Lady, you are a talented writer. It's almost as if I'm talking to you... I want more!

    ReplyDelete