Friday 21 June 2013

tell about it

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do 
with your one wild and precious life" 

I've had these lines from Mary Oliver running around in my head for the last six months or so - a reminder, or comfort, that each new change is just one of many that has so far contributed to a pretty wonderful life. 

In the past six months, I ended a year and a half of living in rural Lesotho, had one month of travel adventures in Tanzania, and found myself back home in Canada after being away for more than four years.

But my homecoming was quickly cut short by the opportunity to work with the UNDP in Ethiopia for six months. And so now I find myself in Addis.

This opportunity marks many firsts. My first time in Ethiopia. My first time living in the chaos of an African capital city. My first time working with the UN.

And while I've had the opportunity to live and travel in many wonderful places far from home, this will be my first time blogging these experiences (much to the happiness of my family!).

And so I can think of no better way to start than with a little more inspiration from Mary Oliver.

"Instructions for living a life.
Pay attention.
Be astonished.
Tell about it."



No comments:

Post a Comment